- Have a Great Summer! See you next semester.
AAWE will resume meetings beginning Fall 2017
Aggie Aerospace Women in Engineering is a student run Texas A&M organization dedicated to supporting and encouraging women in the Department of Aerospace Engineering through personal and professional networking, while also providing programs that promote interest in our field. AAWE is open to students, alumni, or any others interested in industry or academic careers related to aerospace engineering, regardless of major or gender.
AAWE‘ s seven elected officers, known collectively as the Leadership Core, and our faculty advisor guide the organization and keep it running. The Leadership Core consists of:
- Faculty Advisor
- Chief Coordinator
- External Networking Chair
- Internal Programs Chair
- Social Chair
- Outreach Chair
Dr. Kristi Shryock
Dr. Kristi Shryock, AERO Class '97, (pictured here with her daughter Eastyn – future AAWE member!) is an Instructional Associate Professor in the Aerospace Engineering department. She is fortunate to have served as an advisor to AAWE since its grassroots inception in 2012. Being an integral part of developing the mission to support and encourage women in aerospace engineering, her desire is that all students feel welcome and a part of the AAWE community.
Alyssa is a Senior Aerospace Engineering student. She has been a member of AAWE since 2015 and has previously served on the Communications Committee and as the Internal Programs Chair. Alyssa hopes to continue to see the increase of female engineers in the industry and plans to enter the work field after graduation. She is proud to be contributing to AAWE as the Chief Coordinator.
Chief Coordinator Duties:
- Presides at both general and officer meetings
- Makes sure agenda is followed in a timely manner and necessary decisions are reached
- Coordinates with the officers of the Leadership Core
- Serves as liaison to the Texas A&M Department of Aerospace Engineering, other universities, colleges, and corporations.
- Oversees all AAWE accounts
- Organizes the overall AAWE budget based on previous year expenditures
- Reviews all committee and event budgets and appropriate funds
- Oversees all sales, tax and legal issues for the organization
- Collects all funds from sponsors, members, etc.
- Pays all bills authorized by the Leadership Core
- Co-Chair of the Funding Committee.
Mia Brown is a Sophomore Computer Engineering Student. She has just recently become involved in AAWE, but has previously been apart of other women organizations (like Women in Engineering (WE)) and hopes to be able to continue to help with the advancement of women in the engineering field. She can’t wait to see what opportunities AAWE has in store.
- Maintain records of membership and the listserv
- Record minutes of all general and officer meetings and ensure they are available for posterity
- Keep track of all attendance at general and officer meetings
- Co-Chair of the Communications Committee
Emilio has loved the field of Aerospace since he first heard about its existence. He became a part of the organization in the hopes of not only growing AAWE, but also furthering his knowledge in the field. Aside from this organization, Emilio primarily dedicates his time to studying, although you may catch him playing ping pong every now and then. He hopes to do this wonderful group justice during his time here.
External Networking Duties:
- Primarily responsible for organizing events, activities, and resources that connect talent, funds, and opportunities available outside of the University with AAWE for the purpose of enriching our members
- Co-chair of the Networking Committee
Joel White is a Freshman (soon to be) Aerospace Engineering student. Although he is still a freshman, being a member of AAWE has allowed him to connect to other people that share similar interests. Along with being the current Outreach Chair, he was on the Networking Committee in the Fall semester.
Internal Programs Duties:
- Organizes events, activities, and resources that connect talent, funds, and opportunities available within the University with AAWE for the purpose of enriching our members
- Co-Chair of the Programs Committee
Outreach Chair Duties:
- Primarily responsible for organizing events, activities, and resources that connect talent, funds, opportunities, etc. available within AAWE to outside groups for the purpose of enriching non-members
- Contact and inform all incoming freshmen engineering students of AAWE’s available opportunities, including the end of the year banquet
- Co-chair of the Communications Committee.
Each committee is created to help with planning and execution of events. If you are interested in getting involved, be sure to check out AAWE‘s committees, which are open to all members! The AAWE committees are:
- Funding & Social Committee
- Communications & Outreach Committee
- Networking Committee
Led by the treasurer and social chair,
this committee is responsible for:
- Buying refreshments and meals for all meetings and social events
- Creating and organizing social events
- Organizing the end of the year banquet
- Holding fundraisers for events and programs
- Managing AAWE sales
- Finding sponsors for events and programs
Led by the secretary & outreach chair,
this committee is responsible for:
- Advertising the organization’s general meetings and events around campus and the community
- Maintaining a website for the organization
- Creating AAWE shirt designs
- Sending regular e-mail updates to members
- Visiting freshmen engineering classes, informing students about AAWE
- Providing outreach opportunities to younger generations through programs or events
- Arranging volunteering opportunities in the community
Led by the external networking chair and internal programs chair,
this committee is responsible for:
- Organizing seminars and workshops on skills related to aerospace engineering
- Creating an updating a list of available scholarships for Aerospace Engineering
- Organizing externships with aerospace-related companies
- Organizing visits to industry
- Running a mentorshop program connecting professionals with students
- Arranging for workshops and lectures given by individuals from within the University
- Corresponding and organizing events with related local organizations, such as SEC, SWE, AIAA, WIN, AWICS, etc
If you would like to join a committee you can fill out an application HERE
- MAROON SHIRT WITH AAWE LOGO: $10
- BLACK JACKET WITH AAWE LOGO: $35
- MAROON PARENT SHIRT WITH AEROSPACE ENGINEERING LOGO: $10
- "DO YOU EVEN LIFT"" SHIRT:$10"
- 75TH ANNIVERSARY SHIRTS: $10 - ALSO AVAILABLE IN MAROON
- LANYARD WITH AEROSPACE ENGINEERING LOGO: $1
If you would like to donate to our scholarship fund, sponsor an AAWE meeting or event, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. As a special thanks, your logo will be placed here on our website.